ANGELINE LEE SZE YEEN
Angeline practises in the area of corporate banking, with specific emphasis in debt capital market instruments, project finance, securitisation and Islamic finance.
Angeline graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of London. She was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2002.
Angeline was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2002. She was admitted as a Banking & Finance partner at Messrs. Albar & Partners in July 2008, a firm where she has practised law since her admission to the Malaysian Bar.
In 2012, Angeline joined the firm of Ms Lee & Koh (formerly known as Ms Koh Yew Chong & Partners), a boutique firm located in Menara 1MK in the heart of Mont Kiara, Kuala Lumpur.
A rising star within the firm, Angeline is a favourite amongst clients, and came up tops as a Leading Lawyer in 3 practice areas of Corporate & Commercial, Energy & Natural Resources, Insolvency & Restructuring in the world-wide e-poll conducted by Islamic Finance News in its 2012 IFN Leading Lawyers Survey.
Angeline is listed as one of the leading lawyers in the International Financial Law Review [IFLR 1000] in both the “Banking and Project Finance” and also “Capital Markets” categories for both 2012 and 2013;
Angeline Lee is described as “technically sound” by clients. She … continues to extend her reputation in the field”. In addition, she has been ranked as an “Up and Coming lawyer” [Banking & Finance ( Up and Coming )] in the field of Banking & Finance – Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific.
Angeline has also been mentioned in The Legal 500, Asia Pacific for 2012 and 2013 and has in November 2012 received the accolade of being one of the Recommended Lawyers on The Legal 500 (2013) listing. In 2013, Angeline once again was ranked as Recommended Lawyer for The Legal 500, Asia Pacific 2014 for her work in the field of IT and Telecoms advisory.
Angeline’s track record of transactions include acting as co-Malaysian counsel to a minority shareholder in a multi-million US Dollar denominated Islamic Project Financing based on the Syariah principles of Ijarah Mawfusah Fi Al Dhimmah. The Islamic structure won international acclaim as “Best Ijarah Deal of the Year 2007″ in the Islamic Finance News Awards 2008.
Angeline also formed part of the legal team that advised a trustee of a REITS in the first PDS issuance of a multi-million ringgit commercial papers/medium term notes (CP/MTN) Programme in Malaysia to part finance the acquisition of properties for a trust. She was also involved in advising a lead arranger in a multi-million ringgit bonds issuance programme under the Syariah contract of Istisna’ to part finance the construction of a heavy lift derrick/pipe key combination vessel in 2005.
Angeline has also advised on the RM5.6bn debt restructuring of Senai-Desaru Expressway Berhad and on a cross-border refinancing for PT TH Indo Plantations. She also worked on multi-million dollar financings involving offshore entities, including advising a syndicate of banks on facilities to TL Offshore, a subsidiary of SapuraCrest Petroleum; and acting for banks on a RM102m facility to Lekir Bulk Terminal.
Amongst Angeline’s notable deals are:
- In 2013:
- Advised the user on the documentation with O3B Networks Limited, in relation to the procurement of the satellite services and band wave rights in Malaysia for the O3B Satellite. The O3b Satellite Constellation is a new satellite constellation designed for telecommunications and data backhaul from remote locations;
- In 2012:
- Represented the lenders in a RM6.8 billion multi-currency project financing for a 1000MW power plant in Tanjung Bin, Johor. Banks involved included HSBC Malaysia as senior intercreditor agent, and US dollar term loan arrangers HSBC, Mizuho Corporate Bank, Oversea-Banking Corporation and Sumitomo Banking Corporation. The deal won the “Asia Pacific Project Bond of the Year” at the Thomson Reuters – Project Finance International (PFI) 2012 Awards;
- Angeline also acted as the counsel to CIMB Investment Bank Berhad and Hong Leong Investment Bank Berhad as arranger in the issuance of an Islamic MTN programme of up to RM1 billion ($313 million) in nominal value under the Islamic principle of murabaha (deferred sale) via a tawarruq (asset purchase) arrangement in favour of solid waste concessionaire SWM Environment: the sole operator for the collection and disposal of waste in Negeri Sembilan, Melaka and Johor, among others;
- In 2011:
- Acted for the issuer in a multi-billion ringgit offering of Islamic CP/MTN’s (Sukuk Programme) under the Shariah principle of Ijarah for the national telecommunications corporation for its capital expenditure requirements;
- Advised and worked on multimillion dollar financings involving offshore entities, including advising a syndicate of banks on facilities to TL Offshore, a subsidiary of SapuraCrest Petroleum;
- Advised and acted for banks on a RM102m facility to Lekir Bulk Terminal;
- Part of the team that represented Petronas in acquiring BP’s chemicals businesses as well as other disposals and acquisitions prior to its Bursa Malaysia listing;
- Co-led the legal team advising in the Islamic medium term notes of RM343 million under the Shariah principle of Tawarruq by a major oilfield services entity (KMCOB Capital Berhad);
- Co-led the legal team which advised the financier in the cross border Islamic Commodity Murabahah Term Financing-I of USD $183 million granted in favour of PT TH Indo Plantations. This complex deal clinched 2 awards, as one of the Asian-MENA Counsel Deal of the Year 2011 and “Tawaruq Deal of the Year 2011″ at the Islamic Finance News (IFN) 2012 Deals of the Year Awards (Kuala Lumpur);
- In 2010:
- Co-led the legal team which advised the joint lead arrangers & managers in a highly complex cross border Re-Structuring of Securities relating to Islamic Medium Term Notes of up to a maximum aggregate nominal value of RM 630 million for an oil & gas entity;
- Acted for the joint lead arrangers & lead managers and the trustee for the noteholders in a complex cross border multi-million ringgit re-structuring of Islamic Medium Term Notes securities by a special purpose vehicle of the 3rd largest global oil & gas drilling waste management and drilling fluids solutions player;
- Co-led the legal team which advised the lead arranger, facility agent and security agent in a unique issuance of a Medium Term Notes Programme of RM400 Million in nominal value pursuant to the securitisation of a valuable property, located in the vicinity of the Kuala Lumpur Heritage Belt, known as “Quill 7″;
- In 2009:
- Advised the sole principal adviser, lead arranger and manager in a multi-billion ringgit Islamic Medium Term Notes & Commercial Papers issuance based on Ijarah and Musyarakah principles to finance the nation’s designated water assets owner. This deal won three (3) prestigious awards; namely “Malaysia Deal of the Year 2009″, “Infrastructure Deal of the Year 2009,” & “Project Finance Deal of the Year 2009″ at the Islamic Finance News (IFN) 2010 Deals of the Year Awards (Kuala Lumpur);
- In 2008:
- Acted as co- Malaysian counsel to a minority shareholder in an Islamic Project Financing of USD$453.93 million arranged by Al Rajhi Banking & Investment Corporation, based on the Syariah principles of Ijarah Mawfusah Fi Al Dhimmah, for the Third Container Terminal at the Re-Export Zone of the Jeddah Islamic Port in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Islamic structure won international acclaim as “Best Ijarah Deal of the Year 2007” in the IFN 2007 Deals of the Year Awards (Dubai);
- In 2007:
- Formed part of the legal team that advised Mayban Trustees Berhad (as the REIT trustee) in the first PDS issuance in Malaysia of up to RM118.0 million nominal value commercial papers/medium term notes programme to part finance the acquisition of properties for Quill Capital Trust;
- In 2005:
- Formed part of the legal team that advised United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Berhad (as lead arranger) in a bonds issuance programme under the Syariah contract of Istisna’ of RM500 million to part finance the construction of a heavy lift derrick/pipe key combination vessel.
- In 2013: